Monday, February 21, 2011

Freedom

Jonathan Franzen

I have to say this was not my favorite.  It actually lead to some pretty good discussion which I enjoyed, but it felt forever long.  I guess I don't understand why popular novels about "American families" have to be about how sad and miserable and depressed they are.  In the end no one or very few people are happy.  I have to say I have a great life, even with really crappy things happening that I have NO control over I still have so much I love.  I can think of amazing Godly men and women I know who have endured tragedy after tragedy and I don't think their novel would be nearly so whiny.  But, it did have my beloved bow ending that I found especially uplifting these days.  I also have to say that man Jonathan is obsessed with sex scenes, good grief!  We get it already.  So, I wouldn't read this unless this is your favorite genre and you won't mind lots of inappropriateness and whining.  Sorry!

No comments: