Monday, March 14, 2011

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Laura Hillenbrand

Wow, what an interesting read.  This was definitely tough to get through at times.  I am a little embarrassed to admit I almost never think of anything other than the persecuted Jewish people when I think of World War II.  While they absolutely deserve our respect and remembrance, there are so many other people who suffered miserably for our freedoms and fought valiantly for them.  I thought this was a very interesting picture of a soldier's life on the Japanese side of the story.  I really like that the author portrayed Louie as he was lovable at times, and very unlovable at others.  I think she did a great job of letting us learn to love and respect him on our own.  I did think the acknowledgements were interesting when she mentioned some of his fellow soldiers.  Because Louie was famous for being a great runner he was automatically a great and well know soldier, I wonder if it was even harder to be an outstanding soldier and who gets lost in the shuffle because you weren't famous before hand.  A very interesting read.  Well worth the time it took, but you may have to step away occasionally it is pretty heavy.  I am once again finding myself so very thankful for my charmed life!

No comments: